TESL-0100 - Unit Three Reflection

by - 16:52




Having to explain automatic language processes to ELLs with a different L1

I found the activities included in the Bolitho and Tomlinson (2005) article about using grammar correctly to be interesting. Before reading the article, I thought I was familiar with most types of grammar and could use them correctly. I have had people comment on my writing ability and am sometimes told that I am more well-spoken and thoughtful than most people my age. However, I found myself very frustrated when I worked through the exercises and my attention was drawn to grammar aspects that I either had difficulty doing due to a lack of familiarity or were automatic processes where I could not explain why I knew something was right or wrong. This made me realize that I need to improve my grammar knowledge and to become aware of how and why I use parts of language so that I can teach learners how and why certain grammar practices are done English

In the chapter “Teaching Grammar and Vocabulary”, Brown and Lee (2015) discuss approaches to form-focused instruction. Forms are the structures that phrases and sentences take that transmit information in an effective and meaningful way. They can be taught both explicitly or implicitly in language learning activities and lessons. The authors state that most current language teaching methods teach form-focused instruction within a communicative framework. The instruction involving teaching forms differs from explicit and implicit techniques, noticing, and input enhancement. Explicit techniques are one way of teaching learners about grammatical forms, which can be presented deductively or inductively. Deductive explicit teaching involves the direct presentation of rules and concepts to learners who they then apply what they were taught to other learning activities and exercises. Inductive explicit teaching involves the presentation of examples where learners are taught how to identify characteristics and infer the reasons behind the structuring of grammatical forms. In comparison, implicit techniques do not involve the use of structural analysis or technical terms. Instead, learners use context to understand the meaning of sentences and utterances. One implicit technique is called the focus on form approach. It is similar to inductive explicit teaching, except it is done indirectly through communicative activities. Learners’ attention focuses on target forms and noticing grammatical features without being directed by their teacher (Brown and Lee, 2015).

I prefer to use explicit techniques when I am teaching learners how to use grammatical structures. I have not taught grammatical form in deductive way since my volunteer experience has been mostly with learners who are at a beginner level. I do not think it is helpful to teach learners at this level the names of different tenses since they have very little knowledge to build from and it is difficult to explain the reasons why certain forms are more appropriate than others. I prefer to use inductive teaching methods because it allows students to interact with information directly and to learn rules through observing what structures are being used and their effectiveness. I also like this method because learners are still taught about grammatical structure, so they know what they are looking for when they observe and model the sentences and utterances provided by the teacher. In contrast, implicit techniques seem to assume that learners will notice the same features that the teacher would present if they were teaching using explicit techniques. I think that learners benefit most from initial instruction because it builds skills and competence that can be applied individually, both inside and outside of the classroom.


References

Bolitho, R., & Tomlinson, B. (2005). Common areas of difficulty. In Discover English (pp. 7-18). Oxford, UK: Macmillan Limited. 

Brown, H. D., & Lee, H. (2015). Teaching grammar and vocabulary. In Teaching by principles: An interactive approach to language pedagogy (4th ed., pp. 462-486). White Plains, NY: Pearson Education. 

Martin, P. (2009). LA Phonics [Digital image]. Retrieved from http://languagearts.phillipmartin.info/la_phonics.gif

You May Also Like

0 comments