TESL-0110 - Unit One Reflection

by - 19:24


My first memories of learning English in a classroom are from when I was in grade one. I remember doing activities like counting how many school days had passed since the first day of class. We would count by multiples of 2, 3, 5, and 10. We would also practice pronouncing combinations of letters. I remember having a vocabulary diary that had common words in it and allowed us to write new words that we learned in it. My teacher would try to get us to look up words in a dictionary to learn how to spell the words that we needed. I always thought that this was strange because you need know how words are spelled to be able to look them up in the dictionary!

The learning activities we did in grade two built off the ones that we did in grade one. I remember doing vocabulary units on months and seasons. We would fill out worksheets after watching parts of nature documentaries. My teacher seemed more concerned with our abilities to answer questions and understand the material than with spelling. I do not remember learning grammar explicitly, but she would correct our grammar in our writing. I think the first time when I had a class that focused on grammar was in grade three when we learned parts of speech (e.g. verbs) and spelling.

The education system in Manitoba requires that all students to study French from grades four through six. I did not retain much of the language that was taught during this period. The instruction from one of the teachers was all done in French. However, other teachers taught mostly in English. I remember having vocabulary units where we learnt about colours and rooms in houses. However, I did not find this to be practical since I could not use what I learnt in sentences or in any real-life situations. The only sentences that I retained were how to say the date in French and “Est-ce que je peux aller aux toilettes?”, which translates to “Can I go to the bathroom?” (Remembering this sentence was very important because we could only go to the bathroom if we asked the teacher in French!)

During my university education, I needed to take a language course to fulfil my degree requirements and decided to try to take a French class. I found it to be extremely difficult. It was structured in a way that was completely opposite way to how it was taught during middle school. The professor used very little English in her teaching and unlike my middle school experience, the focus was primarily on grammar. Vocabulary was treated as less important and felt like it was thrown in and only learnt through encountering it while learning sentence structure and conjugating verbs. Even the class lab was taught in French and we were supposed to avoid speaking English in it. I decided to drop the course because it was too challenging and I had been hospitalized for a sudden and unrelated illness.

I had to take another language class since I was unable to finish the French course. This time, I decided to try learning Spanish. I thought that this class was structured much better than the French class was. One of the factors that likely contributed to the differences was that it was taught at a different university. The instruction in the Spanish class was mostly in English. The instructor gradually incorporated more Spanish into her teaching as we progressed through the course and became more familiar with the language. I really appreciated this because it acknowledged that there was a learning curve and that we would have difficulty acquiring a language that we did not have any background in. There also seemed to be a balance between learning grammar and vocabulary. There were themed units but each of them incorporated different verb tenses and sentence features. We also did a lot of partner and group exercises so that we could practice language skills. I found this to be a much better way to organize a course, but I still struggled to learn how to conjugate verbs and structure sentences.

The outline for this unit states that “your educational background likely contributes to your knowledge of grammar and to your beliefs about its importance in an L2 (second language) classroom.” I had not given much thought to the way that these experiences could affect my beliefs about being a teacher. I think that the effects that early language learning experiences have on people’s beliefs about how language should be taught in the classroom can be subtle and that people might not be consciously aware of them, especially if they do not have an interest in being a teacher or learning a new language.

I feel like my early classroom experiences did not have much of an effect on my perspective of language teaching as an adult. I This is because I recognize the differences between teaching the building blocks of language for children who are developing their L1 language skills and teaching students who have normally developed those language skills and are trying to apply their language foundation to a new language. I think that it is not particularly helpful to teach a language framework to someone who does not have basic knowledge in their L1 since they lack the vocabulary and means of understanding the complexities that exist in grammar. As such, I think that instructing young students to re-write a sentence in the present perfect will not be helpful or meaningful to them. In contrast, I think that L2 English language students would benefit more from that type of instruction since they need points of reference and ways to separate sentence forms in their minds. Thus, due to the complexity of grammar, the age, language, and educational backgrounds of students must be considered when teachers plan how to incorporate it into their lessons.

In comparison, I think that my foreign language learning experiences were much more influential on my perspective of language teaching. I feel like these experiences helped me empathize with the way that some students feel when they are learning a new language. They have helped me see teachers can have an adverse effect whether their primary focus is on vocabulary or grammar. Learners need to know grammar and sentence structures so that they know how to use language, but students will not know how to use what they have learnt if there is too much focus on these things. Likewise, learners need to know vocabulary so that they have something to use when engaging in language activities, but they will not know how to use these words if they do not have enough knowledge about grammar, sentence structure, and real-life tasks that they can use them in. As such, I think that there needs to be a balance in language teaching. It would be more helpful to learners if the focus was on something else, like specific tasks that are useful and of interests to learners. However, I think that there is a limit to the amount that teachers can teach. As a result, they need to be able to pass on tools to students so they can learn and practice their skills outside of the classroom in order to go beyond basic proficiency.

Unfortunately, my experiences have also made me doubt my abilities and effectiveness as a teacher because I do not have much knowledge about other languages. I worry that students will have similar learning difficulties and that I might have problems connecting with speakers of other languages who do not have much of an English language knowledge base. I recognize that language learners come from different educational backgrounds and that students will have different experiences than I had when learning a new language. I hope that the doubt that I am experiencing is temporary

You May Also Like

0 comments