TESL-0100 - Unit One Reflection

by - 23:54

 I am really enjoying the TESL program even though we have only completed the first unit. I appreciate the amount of information contained in our assigned readings and I think that it will be very helpful when I volunteer in the ESL classroom and assist teens with their homework. This entry will primarily examine the Infed.org article written by Mark K. Smith because I think it is important to consider what teaching is before deciding what kind of ESL teacher I want to be. I will focus on definitions of teaching and intervention and building a growth mindset. I will reflect on these concepts within the context of my own learning and volunteering experiences.

Defining teaching
One of the descriptions that Smith provides to define teaching is “the process of attending to people’s needs, experiences, and feelings.” He explains that this involves an orientation based on respect and the belief that everyone has the right to share in life. I think that this description is particularly relevant to ESL because students come from diverse backgrounds and might be unfamiliar with the classroom setting. In addition, personal feelings and experiences can influence the needs of students in the classroom and the effectiveness of various teaching methods and actions.

My experience volunteering in the classroom setting has shown me that many students are afraid of being wrong. This means that if no one raises their hand after the class is asked a question that it does not necessarily mean that no one knows the answer. Rather, students may feel unsure of themselves and be reluctant to speak up. Therefore, it is important for teachers to be aware of their students’ feelings so that they can cultivate a learning environment where students feel comfortable and does not make them feel upset about giving a wrong answer. Making mistakes is part of the learning process.

Another definition that Smith provides is that teaching is the ability to “impart knowledge to or instruct (someone) as to how to do something” or to “cause (someone) to learn or understand something by example or experience.” In my educational experience, the schools that I attended were quite bad at incorporating both aspects of teaching. I did not learn how to write proper paragraphs and academic papers until I attended university and received help from a tutor. I found that having an example that I could use to structure my own writing was extremely helpful. 

I have tried to use both while teaching in the classroom and as a tutor. I have found it easier to teach by example or experience than to teach through instruction when assisting in the classroom because the students have a limited English vocabulary. This has also been true for my experience working with teens. Most have very strong speaking skills but have trouble following spoken and written instructions. One student that I helped did not understand a short story that she was assigned to read and answer questions about. However, her reading comprehension improved after I showed her how to scan the story for information to answer questions and to underline important information. As such, I think both aspects of teaching are important when trying to get students to apply what they learn in class to other knowledge and situations that they encounter.

Defining Intervention
Another concept that I find interesting in the assigned reading is intervention. Smith defines intervention as “the process of taking defined and targeted action in a situation” so that students can learn particular things. He explains that interventions can take the form of “questioning, listening, giving information, explaining some phenomenon, demonstrating a skill or process, testing understanding and capacity, and facilitating learning activities such as notetaking, discussion, assignment writing, simulations, and practice.”

I used some of these forms of intervention while working with one of the teens who was having trouble answering a list of questions about events and turning her answers into paragraph form. I asked her questions about the events to make her answers more detailed and helped her structure her answers themselves and her paragraphs. At first, I worried that she might have been relying too much on me to phrase her sentences and to decide what order to use them in paragraphs. However, the next time that I worked with her she had finished some of the events herself and she found it much easier to form paragraphs. Thinking about this experience within the context of intervention makes me feel satisfaction and shows me that it was appropriate to intervene when I did.

Building a growth mindset
The Smith article also details the research findings of Carol Dweck on the topic of adopting a growth mindset. She explains that a fixed mindset is what results from the belief that your qualities are carved in stone and creates a continuous desire to prove yourself. It is concerned with outcomes and performance and stems from valuing and praising achievement. In contrast, a growth mindset is what results from believing that some qualities are just a starting point and that effort, together with application and experience, leads to personal growth and achievement. This is particularly applicable to my experience as a student since I have a tendency to focus on short-term goals rather than continuous effort over time. As such, I understand that I could have inadvertently increased my level of stress over the course of my university career. It can also be incorporated into my volunteering positions where students worry about being wrong. A growth mindset can be encouraged by focusing on the role of effort within the process of learning.

References
 
Dweck, C. S. (2007). Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. New York, NY: Ballantine Books.
Jackson, N. (2015, January 21). Tutor Teaching Education [Photograph]. Retrieved from https://pixabay.com/en/tutor-teacher-education-student-606091/
Smith, M. K. (2018, June 25). What is teaching? A definition and discussion. Retrieved from http://infed.org/mobi/what-is-teaching/

You May Also Like

0 comments