TESL-0100 - My teaching identity

by - 17:18



Welcome to my blog! My name is Hayley Jonasson and I am currently enrolled in a part-time certificate program for Teaching English as a Second Language through the University of Manitoba. I am graduating this fall with a Bachelor’s degree in International Development Studies from the University of Winnipeg. I am taking this program because the ability to teach is a marketable skill that I can use to financially support myself abroad while I try to find work in the development field. In addition, having a TESL certificate is expected if I try to find a job locally where I can teach English to newcomers. I’m not sure what life has planned for me in the future.

My class was instructed to read a blog entry that was written by Tyson Seburn about what it means to have a teaching identity. In the blog entry, Seburn explains that a teaching identity is a public presentation about how a person wants to be seen professionally in the teaching field. He states that a professional identity requires a person to be aware of their skills and to perceive their job as a profession. Furthermore, working for survival and a continuous search for a new job take the place of a professional identity in situations where people do not see their job as a career in itself. These attitudes explain why I do not have a developed and clear professional identity, since most of the jobs that I have worked were not rewarding and were not something that I wanted to make my career. Instead, they made me see the importance of pursuing a university education to provide me with better career opportunities. My educational journey has improved my ability to read, write, and analyze information, which are skills that I can incorporate into my teaching.

Seburn says that our areas of interest and expertise inform us about how we fit into the larger professional world. As such, one person’s role in the world of English language teachers differs from another’s based upon their areas of interest and expertise and what they bring to both the classroom and the international teaching community. My educational background is situated in the field of international development. I am aware that the ability to obtain a good education can be a way out of poverty for people in the developing world. This is because English is an international language and knowing it provides opportunities for further education and for employment opportunities, like working in the tourism industry. Therefore, my educational background allows me to have a clear picture of long-term goals and overall outcomes. As such, my insights and understanding differ from people with other educational and teaching backgrounds and we all bring our understandings to the international teaching community.

I also have experience volunteering in an ESL classroom that teaches English to refugees and other newcomers who live in Winnipeg. Together with my educational background, my volunteering experience has helped me understand the importance of second language acquisition and literacy for this population. Refugees must reach a certain level of language competency before they can obtain employment. As a result, the students in my class are highly-motivated to learn English. Not knowing English severely limits the ways in which they can participate in Canadian society because they cannot read, write, speak, or understand the language in the ways that it is present in our everyday lives. As such, I understand myself as a person who uses language resources and tools to present them in simple ways to build understanding. This means that participating in social media and partaking in the international teaching community by sharing ideas and resources has a direct impact on my identity as a teacher.

My class was also instructed this week to watch a YouTube video posted by Tyson Seburn about having a teaching identity. In the video, Seburn discusses how teaching identities extend past the classroom and evolve over time, depending on the people we are in contact with and the choices we make inside and outside the classroom. As someone who is new to the field, knowing what teaching strategies to use and which will be most effective for achieving learning goals. This is why Seburn points to the use of a Professional Learning Network (PLN) as a valuable source of information and resources for teachers of all experience levels. You can see a visual representation of my PLN here. In addition, I have created an About.Me page that briefly describes my teaching identity.



References

Seburn, T. (2017, March 19). On developing identity: who am I? [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uysevKaxQ6E

Seburn, T. (2017, April 23). Who do you think you are? Retrieved from http://fourc.ca/teacheridentity/

You May Also Like

0 comments